Special Education Teacher
Michigan International Prep School is a tuition-free, K-12 online school. We believe in helping students succeed through meaningful, personal connection, and customized learning.
We're always on the lookout for passionate educators and support staff who are flexible, engaging, and committed to helping student achieve their highest potential.
NOTE: To apply for this position, please use the application form at the bottom of the page, or email all required documents (a completed application, cover letter, resume, three letters of recommendation, appropriate credentials/certifications, and college transcripts) to email@example.com
Special Education Teacher
Any Lab Location
Reimagine Education, LLC is a privately-owned management company for Michigan International Prep School, a publicly funded Cyber Charter School.
At Michigan International Prep School, we want our students to pursue what makes them different. No two people are identical, and it doesn’t make sense to treat them like they are. That’s why we create a unique learning pathway for every MIPS learner, built around their talents, interests, location, and schedule. Students are first in our school.
The Special Education Mentor Teacher provides leadership and direction with students, whether it be at the lab level and working with them in the cyber world. Supervise and manage caseloads of students, including conducting IEP meetings. Develop trusting relationships with students and parents/guardians. Establish rapport with students, and encourage academic success. Be an advocate for students
● Current Professional or Continuing Teacher Certificate with a K-12 endorsement with LD, EI, or MI
● Computer Knowledge is a must and will be
tested during interview process
● Ability to handle multiple tasks as once in an effective manner
● Ability to analyze curriculum in accordance with established standards
● Knowledge of best practices in grading student work
● Works well with a team
● Very strong customer service skills
● Maintain a positive “can do” attitude
● Be a strong communicator
● Expert knowledge in the use of assessment and assessment data to implement them effectively
● Face challenges with the focus on creating a better educational model for our students
● Be a self-starter and an independent thinker. (this position will require the applicant to be able to make and implement decisions without direction)
● Primary focus is in creating a learning environment that will increase student success
● Technological skills (Chrome, Google, etc.). Must be able to adapt to new technology rapidly
● Demonstrate the ability to plan and evaluate strategies for improving instruction
● Develop trusting relationships with students assigned to the Special Education
● Monitor student progress weekly and help the student stay on track to complete the course successfully and on time
● Work to make the learning lab a warm and inviting environment
● Maintain discipline in the learning lab
● Establish and communicate clear expectations and guidelines
● Communicate with school administrators, and parents using email, text messaging, and phone. MIPS requires Special Education Mentor Teacher to have meaningful conversations with students and families at least twice a week and document in Student Information System.
● Ability to work with students virtually via GoToMeetings, Google Meet and in person
● Establish rapport with students and encourage academic success
● Meet with the student as needed and keep detailed records of all meetings and communications in the appropriate system
● Individual & small group instruction
● Approve Final Grades
● Maintain communications with other online instructors
● Advocate for students
● Help interpret instructor feedback by reviewing the assignment and the rubric or grading standards with the students
● Assist with student orientations for newly enrolled students
● Work with the MIPS team in developing motivation strategies for students on the Special Education Mentor Teacher caseload
● Create a learning environment that is welcoming, supportive, and flexible enough to meet individual student needs
● Assist students in developing a schedule that is effective to online learning
● Work with MIPS leadership to develop local business partnerships that allow students the opportunity to learn in real world situations
● Tutoring students in-person and virtually
● To be informed of all policies and procedures
● Special Education Mentor Teachers are on the front line, so they need to have a good working relationship with Students, Parents, other Mentor Teachers, Mentors and Administrators
● Computer skills that will allow Special Education Mentor Teacher to troubleshoot minor technical challenge
● A pleasant personality and positive attitude toward working with administration, staff, and community members. Evidence of ability to establish working relationships that result in increased efficiency and effectiveness
● Special Education Mentor Teacher must have the ability to make decisions in accordance with Board Policies and Curriculum Guidelines
● Develop and implement instructional programs in Employee’s areas of expertise in accordance with the Educational Program established by the Director of Curriculum
● Apply approved techniques for the ongoing assessment of student learning
● Carry out all other duties and obligations that are determined to facilitate the School’s mission, goals, standards, and Education Program
● Special Education Mentor Teacher must honor written Board Policies and Administrative Regulations
● Perform other duties as required
All applicants are required to submit a completed application, cover letter, resume, three letters of recommendation, teaching certificate, and college transcripts.
Reimagine Education, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The position is subject to Reimagine Education, LLC policy, rules, and regulations. As Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, It is the policy of the Michigan International Prep School and Reimagine Education, LLC that no person shall on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age or disability be excluded from participation and be denied the benefits, or be subjected to discrimination under program or activity and in employment, further Reimagine Education, LLC strictly adheres to the provision of Title VI of the Civil Rights Acts of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and all Michigan Department of Education policies and regulations prohibiting discrimination.
● Dental insurance
● Health insurance
● Life insurance
● Vision insurance
Apply for This Job.
Interested in other jobs at Michigan International Prep School?
If you think you would bring something special to our team, but this particular position isn't a great fit, we'd like to invite you to explore our other open positions. We look forward to hearing from you!